Easy Recipes: Homemade Chicken Pot Pie – Yum!
Is it true that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach?
In my household, it sure helps. A women can help make her man love her more by cooking him good meals, but a man can make a woman love her more by knowing when she is NOT in the mood to cook!
But when I am in the mood to cook, or have a special something I have seen at the garden center, getting my husband in a good mood to discuss a purchase involves cooking one of his favorite meals: Homemade Chicken Pot Pie.
When I make this recipe, I make a LARGE pot pie in a 13×9 baking dish, but you can make two 9 inch pies if you like with this mix. I just cut and trim my ready-made pie crusts to fit the 13×9 pan and it works for me. My servings are just big “cubes” instead of pie wedges.
Warning: Once you have a homemade chicken pot pie, you will never eat one of those frozen ones again. Big difference! And if your husband is like mine, he won’t eat any but yours. And he evens brags about mine! Be still my heart! ( See more of my Easy Recipes here.)
For all you great cooks out there, make your own pie crust if you’d rather. I am just not good at it so I buy the ready made. Just don’t forget to put the celery seed pressed into the crust or mixed and rolled into it if you make your own. This absolutely makes it scrumptious!
I make a few chicken breasts in the crock pot for this recipe. Just put them on when you get up the the morning. About three large breasts would be done in 2-3 hours on high. After cooling, they will be easy to shred or dice. The broth which comes from the chicken can be strained and added to your pie filling. Yumm! ( These can even be slightly under-done since they will bake again in the pie.)
Yes, making the pie crust fit the 13×9 dish is like working a jigsaw puzzle, but just cut the shapes until you get what you need to cover top and bottom. Remember that celery seed!
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Filling
Making up the “pie filling” starts with a roux, just like I used in the Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe. You will need to have a very large saucepan for this filling, and feel free to add extra spices, including salt and pepper to taste. Use your home canned vegetables, or fresh when available. Otherwise, I think frozen vegetables are the best option. We love lots of corn in ours.
When planning your meal, plan that the pies have a good 25-30 cooling before you slice. It will hold together so much better that way. And be cool enough to eat. Make a side salad if you like. It is great with this dinner. Leftovers are wonderful…….if you have any!
Simple Recipes: Homemade Chicken Pot Pie - Yum!
A great main dish, all you need is a salad to serve with it and you are ready to eat!
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 5oz can evaporated milk
- 1 qt low sodium chicken stock
- 1-1.5 lbs cooked & shredded/diced chicken ( I like breasts)
- 1 lb frozen corn
- 1 lb frozen peas
- 1 lb shredded carrots
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 large potatoes diced
- 4 pre-made pie crusts ( or make your own)
- 1 Tbsp of ground sage
- 1 Tbsp of dried rosemary
- 1 tsp celery seed + sprinkles for the crusts
- Pam spray
- Spray Pam on 13x9 baking dish or two 9 inch pie plates
- Prep crust or unwrap pre-made crusts.
- Sprinkle and press in celery seed into crusts or crust mix. Put crusts into pans and set aside.
- Make up a roux with butter and corn starch. Add chicken stock and leftover broth from cooking chicken.
- Add 5 oz can evap milk and stir til simmering.
- Add all vegetables and spices and simmer for about 20 mins. If too thick, trickle in more broth or milk.
- Pour carefully into one large 13x9 or separate into two 9" pie pans
- Cover with top crusts and pinch and seal edges. Pierce top crust to vent.
- Bake 13x9 at 375°F for 1hr. Or bake two 9" pies for about 45mins. Bake until browned on top.
- (They typically boil over so bake on cookie sheet .)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 550Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 430mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 7gSugar: 10gProtein: 19g