Jello Beans are adapted from a jiggler recipe.
All of you have seen those easy recipes that you find on the box of gelatin. But we make it for a great low carb snack which does have protein. Wonderful!.
This snack is so quick and easy to make and you can carry it around in a baggy for a snack anytime. They don’t need refrigeration after the first set up, but keeping them cooler doesn’t hurt. They will get mushy on your car’s dashboard in the summer!
These make a snack that is similar to Swedish Fish or Gummi Bear. But these are not as “gummy” so they don’t stick to your teeth as badly and so are easier to eat.
You can keep them in a small snack bag or sandwich bag, so the kids (or anyone) can grab a bag for themselves and their friends. And you don’t feel that they are just eating sugar! And bite for bite, these have a little protein which is NOT something most snacks have. ( See more Easy Recipes here.)
Here’s the Thing: Low carb and Low calorie
Here are the counts for this whole easy recipe which made about 100+ jello beans. Your amount of beans or cubes will vary depending on how full you fill the little cavity or how small you cut the cubes.
- 2 boxes sugar-free gelatin = has 40 calories, zero carbs, 8g protein
- 2 packets Knox unflavored gelatin = has 40 calories, zero carbs, 16g protein
Yes, munch away to tide you over til dinner, or use it as something to have in your purse when you MUST have something to eat!
We use the generic gelatin so you can make it very cheaply. The other main ingredient is Knox unflavored gelatin which also comes in a generic version. This gelatin is what provides most the protein, though the regular flavored gelatin has a small amount also.
Great snack to carry with you if you should have the munchies. Low carb and low calorie. Best of both worlds
- 2 3oz boxes of sugar-free gelatin, such as cherry, raspberry, lime, orange (mix flavors if you want)
- 2 packets of (Knox) unflavored gelatin
- hot and cold water
- heat 1 cup water in a medium bowl until boiling (in microwave)
- stir in 2 boxes flavored gelatin with a whisk
- stir 2 packets unflavored Knox gelatin into 1 cup cold water, mix well
- add this to the hot Jello mix and stir again until all is dissolved
- pour into 13x9 dish and cool OR
- pour into a special jiggler tray if you have it.
- EASIEST TO REMOVE if you spray very lightly with Pam spray then wipe off with paper towel
- Chill for 30-60 minutes til firm.
- Remove from jiggler tray or cut into checkerboard pattern if you've used the flat dish.
- You will have either "beans" or "cubes"....Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 22Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 15mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
Leave me a comment and be sure to Subscribe.