Got an iron skillet? Southern Comfort?
Then you have those special basics to make the best nutty skillet pecan tart (made like a pie) ever! Do you love that crispy top? Do you like a lot of nuts in your pie? Then this is the one for you.
We’ve always loved pecan pie/tart and always have it for holidays. But this one is good all year long as dessert. But it is NOT a diet dish by any means! ( See more Easy Recipes here.)
It is so rich and nutty that you only need a small piece.
Yeah….good luck with that! Just make it small because you will be back for seconds.
This tart is made with a touch of Southern Comfort which gives it a hint of flavor. You can use any liqueur you favor. Then the touch of molasses adds another subtlety to the flavor.
Use a seasoned iron skillet for this recipe. These have the iron handle so they make a great baking dish. If you are good at rolling out pie crust, by all means make your own. I have never been good at that so I use the boxed pie crust mix. Just mix according to directions and press it into your skillet. Try and get it as thin as you can. When you pre-bake it, it will puff up a little but settle back down when it cools.
This tart sets up quickly and will slice easily even while still slightly warm. This is a really nutty filling and we chopped the pecans mostly for the ease in slicing and eating. You can use whatever ratio of whole to chopped pecans that suits your taste.
It will be a new family favorite!
- 1 box pie crust mix
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1/2 shot Southern Comfort or approx 2 Tbsp liqueur of choice
- 3/4 cup light Karo syrup
- 1 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups chopped pecans ( 2 cups in mix and 1 cup for a pretty top)
- Mix box of pie crust mix per directions on box.
- Press into a greased iron skillet. I used a 10 inch skillet
- Bake crust at 350°F for 10 min & cool. It will be puffy.
- Mix melted butter, Karo, molasses, bourbon, sugar and eggs well.
- Add pecans and mix well. You can place pecans on top but press into the filling.
- Pour this filling into the cooled crust.
- Bake at 325°F for 30 minutes. Reduce temp to 300° and bake another 30 minutes.
- Turn oven off and leave pie in the oven for 30 minutes with door closed.
- Open oven door and leave another 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Cool and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 slices Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 863Total Fat: 79gSaturated Fat: 7gSodium: 172mgCarbohydrates: 31gSugar: 20gProtein: 21g