Skillet Grilled Chicken
First of all, even though it is called grilled chicken, it is not grilled on a grill. It is cooked in a skillet on your stove top in about 30-40 minutes. This doesn’t include the marinating time. If you plan ahead, just put it into this marinade for an hour.
But my time-crunch system calls for marinating it in the freezer.
You see, when you purchase your chicken in bulk, go ahead and wash and slice the chicken breast and then toss it into a freezer bag. Pour in the Italian dressing, a couple squirts of lime juice from that little plastic green ball, and 1 tbsp of honey. Moosh it around a little to be sure all is covered.
Then seal and toss it in the freezer. It will be marinated and ready when you are ,eh? Just set it out the night before in your refrigerator to thaw. ( See more Easy Recipes here.)
Tip: You don’t need to buy a lime for cooking. The little plastic green lime container is perfect for cooking. You see, limes have varied acidity base on how they grew, so use the concentrate for a specific amount of acidity. Sounds logical.
All of you purists, just use your lime. ( I save those for margueritas!)
The best thing about this chicken is that it is moist, tender, and just the right amount of seasoning that you will love it and so will your kids. My little grandson Jacob loves this, and asks for seconds! And you know it is better for him than battered chicken. Shaped in the form of a nugget.
For you Low Carb People:
I have used this without honey and sweetened slightly with a Sweet & Low or Splenda , whatever you use.
However, it is such a low amount of honey compared to the total recipe, that I feel that the added carbohydrates are insignificant. Serve with a salad and green beans and you have a Low Carb satisfying meal.
Now here’s the recipe:
Great chicken just like Cracker Barrel!
- 4 chicken breast halves sliced into about 1″ thick slices
- 8 oz bottle of italian dressing
- 1 tsp lime concentrate
- 2 tsp honey, or you can substitute 2 packs artificial sweetener if low-carber
- In a gallon plastic bag, put all the above ingredients
- Smoosh it all around to be sure all chicken is coated
- Marinate in fridge for an hour.
- Fix Ahead: Do the same as above and just freeze, when ready it marinates while defrosting..Ta da!
- When ready to cook, dump all the bag contents into large skillet
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer.
- Seems at first there is a lot of liquid, but this reduces down to a wonderful glaze.
- The chicken will get browned in this glaze….Oh yum!
- It is ready! and your only complaint will be “Why didn’t you make More!)
Serving Size:1 half breast fillet
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 652mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 37g
I hope you enjoy the chicken. Let me know in the comments. I’d like to hear from you. Thanks for visiting, and check me out on Facebook at The Hypertufa Gardener.